HMA Admission Policy Click Here for Details

Sansom Foundation Presents The Daywood Collection

October 26 - April 26, 2020

Some of the artists represented in the impressive Daywood Collection include William Glackens and Howard Somerville, whose painting “Joyce” is one of the most beloved by Museum Members in HMA’s permanent collection of more than 16,000 objects.

Arthur S. Dayton (1887-1948), and Ruth Woods Dayton (1894-1978) carefully and systematically acquired the works that would become The Daywood Collection and Mrs. Dayton donated the collection of more than 300 works of art to HMA in December 1966.

Born in Phillippi, W.Va., in 1887, Arthur S. Dayton’s father was an attorney, judge and U.S. Congressman. Arthur Dayton earned a law degree at West Virginia University in 1908. He went on to attend Yale and receive a Master’s degree there. He was an avid collector of not only art but also rare books, including Mark Twain first editions and Shakespeare folios among several other Elizabethan-period works.

Also from Phillippi, Ruth Woods Dayton was born there in 1894 and attended what would later become Greenbrier College and earned a certificate from the New York School of Interior Design. She married Arthur S. Dayton on June 14, 1916, and wrote articles and books about early West Virginia settlers. After her husband passed away in 1948, Mrs. Dayton would later give her husband’s legal library to the West Virginia University Law Library and his rare book collection to the West Virginia University Library.

This exhibit is presented by Sansom Foundation.

Additional support provided by generous supporters of the 2019 Open Door Membership Campaign.

This program is presented with financial assistance from the West Virginia Department of Arts, Culture and History, and the National Endowment for the Arts, with approval from the West Virginia Commission on the Arts.

Sansom Foundation Presents The Daywood Collection

Howard Somerville (1873-1952), Joyce, 1920. Oil on canvas; 44 1/2” x 34”. Gift of Mrs. Arthur S. Dayton, 1967.1.234.